Cowboys – Training Camp Week 1 Recap
With the first week of camp basically behind us, here is a quick recap of some of the news from the week:
- Dez Bryant is back to his old self and appears to have his head on straight (at least while on the field). He’s making spectacular grabs, one handed catches and tearing which ever CB is on him a new one (including Mo Claiborne).
- Morris Claiborne is having an ok camp so far. He has shown some sparks but it appears he needs to get back in the rhythm of the game. It is not anything that will not be cleared up after a few more practices. He did have a minor set back with a sprained MCL. MRI showed he did not have any major damage and is expected back by the end of next week.
- Rookie WR, Cole Beasley who was talked about by Garrett as having a lot of ‘hunger’ for the game quit camp and returned to Dallas because “his heart wasn’t in it”. BUT…. He’s back with a change of heart.
- Bruce Carter appears to some as the favorite for the LB spot opposite of Sean Lee. If you remember, the Cowboys signed Dan Connor for that spot but Carter is making it a battle. It is a real tough competition and one we will keep our eye on.
- Yup, you guessed it. Miles Austin tweaked his hamstring. It doesn’t appear to be major but he is out.
- Garrett said they currently have their eye out for a Center and WR.
- Stephen and Jerry Jones both said, the Cowboys have ‘no’ interest in bringing in veteran WRs like TO, Crayton, or Plaxico Burress. They really want to give the young wide receivers a chance to prove they deserve the #3 spot.
- On Friday, the Cowboys had their first fight of camp and of course it was in the trenches. Costa and Geathers got into a scuffle, rolled around on the floor together and then were separated.
- Sensabaugh has been cleared to practice after having knee surgery in July.
- Felix Jones (RB), Andre Holmes (WR) and Brodney Pool (S) failed the pre-camp conditioning test but then finally passed it on Wednesday and were cleared to practice.
- With Pool being out a few days, this left room for Church to take first string reps at the safety spot and it looks like he’s in it to win it. Shocking to some, he is having a great camp, reacting good to the ball and trying to win the starting spot. This is another competition that we will keep our eye on.
- There were a quite a few players listed on the injury report earlier today and they are as follows: WR-Austin (hamstring), RB-Dunbar(hamstring), TE-Phillips(ankle), DE-Spears(concussion), CB-Claiborne(MCL), G-Bernadeau(knee), WR-Coale(foot), RB-Tanner(hand), WR-Hakim(finger), G-Livings(hamstring), OLB-Spencer(hamstring), DE-Hatcher(hamstring), CB-Jenkins(shoulder), FS-Johnson(hamstring), SS-Sensabaugh(knee), DE-Crawford(knee), DT-Ratliff(foot), G-Kowalski(knee), and G-Nagy(ankle).